In the shrub family (Rhacophoridae) of the frog, the genus of Rhacophorus is included. Genus of (Rhacophoridae), Rhacophorus and Hylidae makes the true tree frogs family. They are commonly known as “flying frogs” due to the presence of strong webbing between long toes. The current genus is related to Polypedates which is also included in Rhacophorus in former times. To achieve the gliding flight is the ability of flying frogs. To the horizontal, less than the angle of 45 degree is involved in flying process. There are 3,400 species of frogs that have the capability of gliding flight. Their arms and legs are having a lateral skin flaps. These morphological characteristics are involved that makes them able to flight.
In the genus, there are 82 different species exist.
They are found in Southeast Asia, Madagascar, India, Japan and Africa. This specie of frogs is currently distributed on the mountains of the province of China, named Anhui. Freshwater marshes, ponds, intermittent freshwater marshes and irrigated land are the natural habitat of this specie. They are existing to the natural habitat with his growing population.
In the floating foam nests, these frogs lay eggs. When they hatch, under the nest tadpoles’ drop to the water and their development is occurring there.
This specie (ZHOUKAIYAE) is named after the Professor Kaiya ZHOU. The English name that is suggested is the Anhui Tree Frog.
RHACOPHORUS ZHOUKAIYAE specie is having distinction of its other congeners by following characteristics.
- The ventral surface is paler yellowish of the femur and decorated with grayish irregular blotches.
- On the dorsum, there are no clear spots are visible from the webbing of hand and foot.
- The external metatarsal tubercle is mostly insignificant.
- Outer fingers are having half webbing while two thirds webbing is visible on outer toes.
- On the dorsum, the skin is without compacted lumps and smooth.
- Belly, chest and throat are having the coloration of pure paler yellowish.
- The grayish-white coloration is visible from the dorsal part of the toes and fingers.
- Their individuals are without color specifications.
- Dark charcoal gray color is prominent in pupils that are horizontal.
- The iris of RHACOPHORUS ZHOUKAIYAE is golden-yellow.
In addition, the strength of this specie is suggested on the bases of clustering into one distinct clade which is shown by phylogenetic tree.
Sex is determined by following characteristics:
- Generally, the female body size is larger than male.
- In the males of this specie, vocal slits and single vocal sac is present near the base of their tongue.
SIZES AND MEASUREMENTS:
In general, females are larger in size than males. The size of female is 42.12–44.67 mm while male has 27.90–37.12 mm.
The lateral tubercles of males are more obvious than in female species. The coloration of body is uniform among their individuals.