WORLD OCEANS DAY
On 8th June, the “World Oceans Day” is celebrated every year. In honor of the oceans, this day is celebrated annually for the benefits that actually obtained from oceans. Since 1992, World Oceans Day is celebrating by Canada’s International Centre for Ocean Development (ICOD) and the Ocean Institute of Canada (OIC) at the Earth Summit – UN Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED) in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. By the United Nations, this day was officially recognized in 2008. For a global oceans day, on Environment and Development, the World. Commission provides us motivation as well as inspiration. The global day of ocean celebration is known as “World Oceans Day which is celebrating for better future.
- MISSION & OBJECTIVE OF WORLD OCEAN DAY:
World ocean day gives us sense of healthier ocean and a better future of ocean life as well as encouraging us to prevent marine litter and plastic pollution.
OUR OCEANS OUR FUTURE:
About two-thirds of the surface of the Earth is covered by oceans. They are known as foundations of life. Oceans are precious and beneficial for us in many ways. Some are:
- They generate most of the oxygen we breathe.
- Oceans provide food and nutrients and regulate climate.
- They help to feed us.
- Oceans absorb a large share of carbon dioxide emissions.
- They regulate our climate.
- They clean the water we drink.
- For countries that rely on tourism, they are important economically.
- They offer a pharmacopoeia of medicines
- They provide limitless inspiration.
- Of international trade, Oceans serves as the backbone.
IMPACT OF HUMAN ACTIVITIES ON OCEANS:
Humans have doing many activities that badly effect the environment of oceans. These activities include:
- Human pressures, including overexploitation.
- Unregulated, illegal, unreported fishing.
- Destructive fishing.
- Unsustainable aquaculture practices.
- Marine pollution.
- Ocean acidification due to the mixing of factories wastes.
PURPOSE OF CELEBRATING WORLD OCEANS DAY:
There are various purposes of celebrating World Ocean Day. These are:
- In everyday life, to remind the importance and major role of the oceans.
- Oceans are having the importance like the lungs of our planet. Because oceans are providing most of the oxygen we breathe.
- The purpose of the celebration of this day informs the public of the impact of human actions on the ocean.
- For the ocean, to develop a worldwide movement of citizens.
- For the sustainable management of the world’s oceans.
- To mobilize and unite the world’s population on a project of ocean management.
- And to recognize that the oceans are major source of food and medicines and a critical part of the biosphere.
- To our survival, a healthy world ocean is critical.
- This day provides a unique opportunity to help, honor, protect, and conserve the world’s oceans.
- To change the perspective of individuals and encourage them to think about what the ocean means to them.
- And to develop the sense in generations how all of us conserve this precious thing.
- To tell them how our daily actions affect beautiful ocean creatures and their habitats.